Resize Instagram Photos

I have been getting e-mails as well as messages from several individuals lately asking how I resize my pictures for Instagram, keeping the make-up, and placing my logo design on them. I figured that it would be less complicated to merely write here the process that I experience to do it, instead of keep repeating the exact same details numerous times - Resize Instagram Photos.

The first thing that you have to recognize is that Instagram forces you to post your photos in a square format, sized at 650px by 650px. The 2nd point that you need to comprehend is that you should export the photos at the proper dimension as well as resolution if you want to keep the images festinating and also of premium quality. That implies that they should be exported at 650px on the long side.

For my workflow, I use Lightroom, Photoshop, DropBox, and Instagram to deal with every one of the preparation as well as uploading. I've tried a number of other ways to upload my images on Instagram, however the complying with process has actually offered me the best and also most regular results.

If you do not wish to undergo the process that I adhere to below, as well as simply intend to publish images without IG cropping your pictures, there are applications that you could mount on your smart device like Squaready and also InstaSize. I don't use either of those apps myself.


Resize Instagram Photos


Step One - Lightroom

The first thing that I do is process my photos usually, as well as prepare them for just how I print them, or publish them to my website. You could review that procedure in previous blog posts in this same post-processing area. I won't duplicate all that here.

Once you have do with all your post-processing of the pictures, after that you could begin selecting the photos that you wish to plan for uploading to Instagram.

In the Library module, select all the photos that you wish to post to Instagram, as well as develop a new collection of them. You can call it anything that you like, but I suggest that you make use of "IG" in the name, either at the beginning or the end, so that you remember exactly what it is for.

As soon as you have actually selected them, and also have actually developed a brand-new collection, you should go through as well as see if you could crop any of them to a 1-to-1 proportion. You can use the crop device for that, and also pick 1 × 1 as the ratio.

The ones that can be exported as 1 × 1 in proportion, can be processed only in Lightroom, as well as could use your normal watermark (I utilized mine on the example listed below). These will be exported at 650px x 650px.

The ones that are able to be resized as squares are easy, and that is all you need to provide for them in resizing. For all of these, you can leap down to Step 3-- DropBox, and skip Step Two-- PhotoShop.

For the photos that do not look great in a 1-to-1 proportion, you will certainly wind up exporting these at 650px on the long side, yet with no watermark on them. See the setups below. I recommend that you export these right into a dedicated folder. Once they are exported, you will proceed to Tip Two-- PhotoShop.

Tip 2-- Photoshop

The entire factor of this action is to put your image on a 650px by 650px history, as well as to add your watermark to the bottom of the square. Doing it manually is a tedious procedure if you aim to do it by hand, so I suggest that you carry out a batch process and use an activity to automate the procedure, which will make it simple to repeat over and over.

If you aren't sure how to create Activities in PhotoShop, you will certainly should review that initially. As soon as you recognize the procedure after that the adhering to instructions will make sense to you.

Your action will have to do the complying with points in this order:

- Open your photo from your import folder as well as lots it to a layer. By default, it is packed as a history. I duplicate the background to a new layer, and also call it "car", leaving the opacity at 100%.
- Then it has to open up Image > Canvas Size and set the height to 650px.
- Create a new layer, and tag it "black".
- Fill up the "black" layer with the black shade using the paint container device.
- Use File > Open to open your watermark logo that you intend to position below the picture. Put it on a brand-new layer and also name it "logo".
- Move the "logo" layer below the cars and truck layer.
- Move the "black" layer listed below the "logo" layer.
- Shut the watermark that you formerly opened.
- Save the finished 650px by 650px picture to a new folder someplace on your disk drive (you will certainly have to have already developed this folder prior to developing the action).
- Shut the documents in Photoshop.

When you have the activity, you could open PhotoShop at anytime, as well as run the Documents > Automate > Set Process command, and choose the folder where you have saved the photos that were not already at a 1-to-1 ratio.

Tip 3-- DropBox

When you have actually exported all your images, you have to obtain them up to Instagram There are programs that allow you to publish from your COMPUTER to Instagram, but I located that I had issues getting the hashtags to function properly when I utilized them, and also I had to start a new account to deal with the hashtag problem. The fix was to merely continue to utilize my smartphone and also use the Instagram application to post the photos, but to do that I needed to have the photos where my phone might access them. The most convenient way was to utilize DropBox to get the pictures where my Instagram app could access them.

Go to DropBox.com and register for it. Download and install the app to your phone and login to it. Use the DropBox.com website to publish your images to your on the internet storage space. I suggest that you utilize folders to arrange your photos. In my instance, I have a "Photos" folder, and also inside it, I have an "Instagram Photos" folder. Inside that folder, I produce folders as I require them, in order to separate the images into smaller, much easier to see, areas.

Once you have posted a collection of pictures right into DropBox, you are ready for the next action, which is to order your smartphone and also open up the Instagram app.

Step 4-- Instagram

At this moment, you need to already have the Instagram and also DropBox applications on your smartphone, and also you are ready to post among your images on Instagram.

Open the app, as well as click the blue button in the middle of the icons below the display. The take photo screen will load, and in the lower left-hand edge, you will see a symbol that resembles a "landscape/mountain" icon (just to the left of the "take a photo" button). Click on it, as well as it needs to prompt you to "Pick a Resource" for your photo, as well as the DropBox symbol ought to be shown as one of the selectable sources. Click it and also you will certainly see your DropBox folders and data listed in a file web browser. Navigate to the picture that you uploaded that you wish to publish to Instagram and also choose it.

From there, you upload it to Instagram much like you would any other picture that you just took.

Tip Five-- DropBox

This last action is not required, but highly suggested. In order not to misplace just what you have actually uploaded already, you must go back into DropBox as well as erase the image( s) that you have actually currently published. This will certainly make it less complicated in the future to not upload the exact same images numerous times.

Conclusion

That's it, my entire process to preparing my images for Instagram. It's not made complex, yet complying with these instructions will certainly make sure that you are publishing images in the very best top quality that Instagram can support.